Week 3 Blog 1

 One health experience that I will never forget happened a little over a year ago. I was super sick and though that I may have strep throat. If that was the case, my mom wanted to get me into the doctor so I could get on antibiotics right away since I had an event that weekend. I remember that I was so weak because I couldn't eat or drink because nothing would stay down in my stomach. My dad offered to drive me to the clinic, but he could not go inside with me because this was when COVID was still a big concern. I remember we had to park outside and wait for nurses to come outside and get me. When they finally did, they were in huge suits protecting themselves in case I had COVID. When I finally got into a room, the nurse checked my vitals and asked me how I was feeling. I was feeling very faint, nauseous, and I had a sore throat. She told me that they were going to test me for COVID because it was spreading a lot, and she was going to test me for strep because that is what I thought I had. I hate when I have to be tested for so many things especially when I don't feel good at all. I was also very nervous to get tested for COVID because I never have before. The nurse that I had was very nice and understanding when she gave me the tests and I really appreciated that. After I waited for the results, the doctor came in and told me that I came back negative or strep and COVID. He then told me that he was going to test me for mono because that was also spreading at the time. He told me that I would have to have my blood drawn for that. I told him that I was already feeling really faint and I didn't know if I would be able to handle my blood being drawn and he said to me "well don't you want me to figure out why you're sick??" in not a kind tone. I followed him to the station where they draw blood and he made a comment to the nurse while I was standing right there and said to her "good luck, we have a fun one on our hands." Once he left the room, I asked the nurse if I could have some water before she drew the blood because I was feeling like I could already pass out from not eating or drinking anything. She was very kind and got me water and told me that we could go back to my room, and she could draw the blood there while I was laying down. That way, if I did pass out, I would already be laying down. She was very kind to me and checked on me to make sure I was okay while she was drawing my blood. After she was finished, she told me I could lay there and wait for the doctor to tell me my results.

    When the doctor finally came back, he told me that I had also tested negative for mono, but my white blood cell count was high indicating that I had some kind of infection. He told me that he was going to put me on antibiotics to help with whatever I had. I have always had trouble swallowing pills and sometimes will gag on them and can't get them down. Since I was already feeling so sick, I did not want him to prescribe me a pill medication, and then I have to struggle to get it down. I asked him if I could please have the medication in a liquid form. He looked at me weird and asked why I wanted it that way. I told him that I have trouble swallowing pills, and since I was already feeling sick, I did not have to worry and struggle about getting the pill down. He then goes to me "your 18 and can't swallow pills??" and the tone he used when he said it was not kind. I just sat there and looked at him because I did not know what to say back to that and then he goes "do you want me to add a sippy cup to it too?" I remember feeling really embarrassed and sad after he had said those things to me. Then on the way home, I cried because he had made me feel terrible. 

    After I had recovered, I was very mad at the way he treated me. In the healthcare field, you should not make your patients feel dumb and should always provide whatever comforts them the most. You should not judge how they want to do things and your main goal should be to help them in any way they want so they can get better. This doctor kept making comments at me my whole appointment and did not care what I needed. I know that I was communicating with him with what I needed, but he was being very immature and making comments at everything I asked him. I felt that he was not acting like a professional doctor should to their patient. This was a very negative experience because of how that doctor treated me. The nurses that had helped me were very kind and helpful and made me feel better while I was there, but the doctor was very rude and made me not want to ever ask for a liquid medication again. I don't think that I could have done anything differently to make the experience better. I do not feel sorry that I asked for liquid medication because I am the patient and that is what I needed. I also made sure that I was not being rude to him in hopes he would not be rude to me. It was obvious he was having a bad day, but he should not have acted like he did towards me. I am never going back to that clinic because of that one experience there. It was a while before I went back to a clinic, and I was nervous when I did. Thankfully, I had a very nice doctor and when I asked if I could have my medication in a liquid form, she did not even question me and said of course she could do that. I trust the healthcare field, and I am so grateful that I can go to them whenever I am sick and need help. Although, after that one experience, it was hard coming back to a clinic setting and asking for a liquid medication because what had happened to me before. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9 Blog 1

Week 11 Blog 1

Week 7 Blog 1